The Bolt EFHS

The Student News Site of Edsel Ford High School

The Bolt EFHS

The Bolt EFHS

Meeting Mr. Lawrence

Meeting Mr. Lawrence

This year, Edsel Ford gained a new Language Arts teacher, Mr. Lawrence. He is currently teaching Creative Writing and junior-level Language Arts. He recently graduated from UM-Dearborn and has started his first teaching job.  He wanted to become an English teacher because in high school, he would always received good grades in English.

“One of my English teachers made the joke that I should be an English teacher one day. I said, ‘Gee, no, I don’t think I would like that.’ Then I volunteered to work at my church for a little bit, and I worked with kids. I really liked being in a mentorship teaching position, and I said, ‘I think you’re right.'”

Mr. Lawrence’s passion for Language Arts started in high school as well. “It was my two English teachers, Ms. Homoleck and Ms. Ritchea. I loved them both. They were my moms in high school, and we had a lot of fun. They made understanding the ELA assignments so easy. They were really encouraging when I started getting really good grades, and I actually got the highest score on the SAT. I got a higher grade than the valedictorian did on the English portion. I was proud of that one.”

As a new teacher, Mr. Lawrence tries to impart wisdom to his students. “I give them a new piece of advice every day, but a good piece of advice I would give them is every time you say something to someone, there’s the potential for them to remember it forever, so just be careful what you say.”

Besides teaching, Mr. Lawrence has a ton of hobbies. “When I’m not reading or attempting to write something, I’m usually fooling around at home, figuring out how to do 8-bit music and watercoloring too. I do all sorts of stuff.”

Donate to The Bolt EFHS

Your donation will support the student journalists of Edsel Ford High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.