The Bolt EFHS

The Student News Site of Edsel Ford High School

The Bolt EFHS

The Bolt EFHS

Meet Edsel Ford’s Social Workers

Ms. Alsalah
Before coming to Edsel, Ms. Alsalah worked at Jalen Rose Leadership and Branch Line School. She has officially been a social worker for 8 years and worked at Edsel for a total of 7 years. When asked what inspires her to do this job, she responded with: “Kids are the most vulnerable at this age, and it’s my priority to ensure they’re mentally stable enough to get to where they need to be.” Ms. Alsalah went to Eastern Michigan University and received a Master’s Degree at Wayne State University. . Her favorite part of the job is to “Give students hope to be able to see the light at the end of the tunnel.” Ms. Alsalah’s favorite high school subject is science! The best mental health tip that she can give to a high school student is to “Make yourself a priority and be kind to yourself.” 

Ms. Ali
Ms. Ali has been a social worker at Edsel Ford High School for 6 and a half years. She became a social worker because, “I did not have the resources that are available now when I was in high school. Some students need assistance with various issues that may occur in their lives. It is rewarding to empower them and allow them to have academic success throughout their high school career. This is what inspires me to be a social worker.

Ms. Ali started at HFCC then transferred to Wayne State. “My favorite thing at Edsel is interacting with students and making a difference in their lives.”  Her best tip is to seek help if you need it and you will not regret it. 

Mr. Saif
Before working at Edsel Ford,  Malek worked at Salina Intermediate School. Malek completed his school social work internship at Marcus Garvey Academy, a part of Detroit Public Schools, for one school year. This marks Mr. Saif’s 3rd year at Edsel Ford High School, with a total of 15 years of experience as a social worker. Mr. Saif attended Wayne County Community College for their college education and later transferred to Eastern Michigan University to obtain a Bachelor’s and Master’s degree. “I was inspired to work with Edsel Students because I feel that students need a voice and I am in a position to help them be heard. Also our students come from diverse backgrounds and being able to help them focus on their similarities instead of differences is very important to me.” One of his favorite things to do at Edsel is take candy from Ms. Hassan’s office or one of our awesome secretaries. Finally his best mental health tip is to “have a healthy sleep schedule and not to change it a lot on the weekend.”

Ms.  Berry
Ms. Berry has been a social worker for five years. While she did not originally start college with the intent of being a social worker, she remembered the lack of compassionate adults after looking back at her own high school. She stated, “I swore that I would put myself in a situation to be somebody that I needed when I was younger.” As a social worker, Ms. Berry is trying to teach students to overcome obstacles and hurdles in their everyday lives. Mrs. Berry’s favorite subject in school was Math because “I loved story problems. I had a natural ability for math!”

Donate to The Bolt EFHS

Your donation will support the student journalists of Edsel Ford High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.